Why Homeowners Should Never Try to DIY Mold RemovalReynaldo Rolo
Whether you’ve had a flood in the home due to a natural disaster, a broken water heater, or some other issue, you could be facing mold damage. Mold develops quickly and thrives easily in wet, damp environments, so when you have water in the home, it’s urgent to get it dried up as quickly as possible. If you start to see mold growth, it can be tempting to try to get rid of it on your own in order to save money. However, that is definitely a mistake. Mold remediation should only be undertaken by skilled experts. Here are a few reasons why homeowners should never try to DIY mold removal:
Proper mold cleanup isn’t easy
While you may find many tips online suggesting that you simply spray mold spots with bleach, this is incorrect and ineffective. Bleach does nothing more than mask the problem. It won’t kill off the existing mold, or prevent it from thriving. Spraying mold with any homemade chemical solution is not enough- in order to ensure proper, complete removal, you need to get rid of the affected area, whether it’s a piece of drywall, carpet padding, floorboards, etc.
The damage could be more extensive
The mold that you see on the surface may only be a small part of a much bigger problem. If you try to spray a spot of mold to remove it, you may actually be missing more extensive spots that spread into walls or floorboards. As a mold remediation expert, I’ve seen many instances where mold is only visible in a small area, but once we begin the remediation process, we find that there’s more than meets the eye. We have the equipment to detect larger areas of mold damage, which then allows us to ensure that we remove it all for a complete, proper cleanup.
DIY Mold Removal can end up costing you more in the long run
Spraying on a chemical solution or cutting out an area of mold may seem like a cost effective and easy way to handle the situation. However, you will probably end up spending more money in the long run to get it taken care of the right way. If you do decide to purchase supplies and equipment, it may be pointless once you do have to call in the experts. We have the tools needed to safely and effectively get rid of mold.
Don’t put your health at risk
Ultimately, it just is not worth it to risk your own health by attempting a DIY mold cleanup. Mold spores can cause breathing and respiratory issues, and once released into the air, your whole home could become contaminated. A skilled mold remediation company has the proper protective and safety gear, as well as the right equipment to ensure that the job is done properly. If you suspect that you have mold damage in your Miami area property, give us a call. We’ll make sure that the mold removal is done correctly so that your home is a healthy place to be.